- Alternative & Modern Rock
- Classic Rock
- Country & Southern Rock
- Early & Roots Rock
- Funk & Reggae
- Hard Rock & Classic Metal
- Industrial, Dance & Electronica
- Jazz & Fusion
- Latin Rock, Salsa & Flamenco
- Modern Metal & Thrash
- Progressive & Experimental
- Proto, Classic & Post Punk
- Psychedelic & Conceptual
- R & B, Gospel and Soul
- Rap & Hip Hop
Just the other day, I caught the glimpse of what might be one of the most exciting concert announcements in a while. Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck will be reconvening with the two remaining members of the Yardbirds to tour... That sounds like one killer show.
The Yardbirds may be the most influence band in terms of guitarists of all time. Originally having Eric Clapton on lead, he was then replaced by Jeff Beck who then briefly worked together with Jimmy Page, who then took the helm alone... AND eventually the band, with no members other than Page, morphed into the New Yardbirds... aka Led Zeppelin. What other bands in the history of rock and roll can lay claim to really starting the career of three of the most influential guitarists of all time? None...that's how many... at least to my knowledge. That alone would be enough to make the band rock and roll icons, but it doesn't stop there. The music made between 1063 and 1968 not only laid the groundwork for the heavy blues rock explosion, but includes many rock and roll staples that are still memorable to this day. Just a great band through and through... and all those great guitarists... definitely a bonus.
Apparently bassist Chris Dreja and drummer Jim McCarty, the other two prominent members of the band back during the 60s, have been touring as the Yardbirds since 1990, which is pretty cool in it's own right as I didn't know and would have loved to catch a show as I think the Yardbirds and their music is legendary. Now it looks like this might end up being the show I have to see as...
1) Jeff Beck playing anything is amazing as the man is an absolute guitar/musical genius and to hear him tear it up again on some great rock and roll will be amazing...
2) Seeing Jimmy Page play anything is a life long dream as he's one of my favorite guitarists (along with Beck) of all time and seeing him with the Yardbirds might be as close as I ever get to seeing Led Zeppelin in concert...
3) Page and Beck interlocking guitars on stage? What could be better than that?
4) Hearing the Yardbirds classics played by at least something as close to one of the original incarnations of the band as possible with be amazing... (of course, no Keith Relf, which won't make it quite the same... but he's been dead 30+ years)...
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I thought this was some exciting news as it sounds like this could be one of the most exciting concert tours of all time. If this kind of announcement makes you as excited as it makes me, make sure to keep an eye out for tickets going on sale. The tour is supposed to kick off this October.
Now, lets all cross our fingers and hope that they're coming to Chicago so I'll actually get to go to the show...
Read the announcement that I first read from Rolling Stone here: http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/07/20/source-jimmy-page-to-reunite-with-jeff-beck-for-yardbirds-tour/